As my first blog post of the year, I thought it would be fitting to share a few “self care tips”. One of my 2019 goals is to not let stress get the best of me. In just a few days I’ll be starting my 4th semester of nursing school (my main stressor.) So I also wanted to have these here, not only to share with you guys, but for me to come back to when I feel like school is taking over my life. 🙂
- Make Time to Exercise: I know this one sounds annoying & obvious…and I probably already lost your interest. BUT…I can’t stress enough how important it is. Trust me, the thing I dread the most is booking my Orange Theory class in the morning. I just always tell myself, I’m not going to regret going…BUT I will regret not going. Which is ALWAYS the case. I have never worked out (even if I’m super dead/ sore after) & said “ugh I regret that”…because I never do! On the contrary, I always feel better… & remember “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don’t shoot their husbands, they just don’t.” (Name that movie)
- Indulge: For me, this is a dove dark chocolate square (after every meal.) Another way I like to indulge is by cooking a nice meal. Usually something easy that I’ve made before, that way I don’t have to put too much thought into it or worry about ruining it. I also prefer to make something light that I won’t feel guilty about later. I’ve been dying to try this recipe for pesto caprese chicken that I found on Pinterest. Heres the link, if you want to try it too!
- Set Aside YOU time: I like to do this like once a month. This is my time to do absolutely NOTHING by myself. I don’t do blog stuff or school stuff, I just relax. I like to catch up on all the shows Danny hates to watch (aka Riverdale or The Bachelor), do a face mask, and take THE shower of showers (shave, exfoliate, moisturize, hair mask, the works!) Here are some of the products I use for at home self care days…
- List Some Things You’re Grateful For: When you’re stressed it is easy to focus on all the negatives. So I like to cope with this is by taking a few seconds to remember all the good things. Everything always works out in the end, so keep an optimistic outlook and focus on the good.
- Ditch Social Media For A Day: Obviously I love social media. I gain a ton of inspo from it and I love having a creative outlet. However sometimes I get serious FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). So on days when I feel down or lazy, I try to stay away from Instagram because it makes me feel like I should be doing something. Not sure if that makes sense? For example, going back to Tip #3, on those days that I like to do nothing, I tend to stay off Instagram. Seeing other people doing stuff makes me feel guilty for taking a day to myself. In reality things on social media are not always as they seem and taking a day to reflect and do your own thing is SO important.
I hope these tips were helpful to you!
…Now go live your best stress free life.